Do you want to set up an Amazon affiliate store using the content management system, WordPress?
A brick-and-mortar enterprise might be profitable. However, affiliate stores have more potential as it can expand your brand influence beyond your present locality. Reaching to potential clients even abroad is now possible.
Setting up an affiliate store does not require vast amounts of money and time, though. All you need to know are the following to start your new business venture as soon as possible.
Affiliate Marketing: A Business Relationship
If you have never heard of affiliate marketing. Just think of it as a partnership between a publisher who creates content or an advertiser, and an online merchant. The latter, also known as the retailer, has an affiliate program hosted through an affiliate tracking platform such as Amazon.
After getting the approval from the associate program, you, as the publisher, can now log on to the retailer’s affiliate marketing platform. From there, you can get affiliate links – unique URLs used for product tracking – and use these in various ways. The following are some of the many ways you can profit with affiliate links.
- Use affiliate links as backlinks in white paper content;
- Create product listings;
- Mention these links during podcasts;
- And embed these links into banner advertisements.
When a site visitor clicked one of the affiliate links and purchased a product at the merchant’s online store, the publisher will be entitled to a commission from the retailer. Usually, these links contain the associate partner’s ID or username.
Affiliate Stores: A Promising Venture
When you set up an Amazon affiliate store, your content would be product listings. And instead of your products, you will list other products from various retailers or online merchants using affiliate links.
These affiliate links will then redirect traffic from your site to a merchant page during sales transactions. When the visitor completes a sale, the merchant will pay you commission without relaying any product fulfillment to you.
However, just like any other business, there are risks and benefits. Make a well-thought-out decision by taking note of the pros and cons listed below.
- Associate stores are more affordable than launching your e-commerce store. Joining affiliate programs such as Amazon’s Associate Program is free of charge.
- Affiliate retailers will not have a problem with product inventory and customer-facing concerns such as product returns, shipping costs, and general inquiries. You will not have to spend most of your time running the business.
- When you curate products from well-known brands, potential customers will trust you even more. Moreover, the click conversion rate would be better.
- By adding affiliate products when you set up an Amazon affiliate store, you will have more product offerings for prospecting customers. You will save tons of money from investing in expanding your product line.
- Revenue in affiliate stores is not always promising and at lower profit margins. Commission rates do not compare to selling your products.
- While curating multiple products from different merchants may draw in more customers. However, a disjointed experience will leave your visitors frustrated after being redirected to various sites.
- Affiliate programs have no long-term guarantees. If your affiliate store lacks brand diversity, you may get removed from the affiliation program. And if they choose to close the program down, you will lose affiliation.
- Upkeep is still a necessity. You are yet required to keep your product links, images, and product descriptions up-to-date as per affiliate’s standards.
However, with Amazon’s associate program, a steady stream of income, product diversification, longevity, and product updates are a guarantee.
Steps in Setting Up an Amazon Affiliate Store
With merely a computer and your time, you can set up an Amazon affiliate store. Simply follow these easy steps to becoming an e-commerce entrepreneur.
1. Choose A Domain Name
Find a registrar like GoDaddy and Internetbs for domain name registration. When choosing an appropriate name, opt out lengthy and complicated monikers. Choose ones that may stand out from the competition. If possible, come up with a domain name that is a brand name in itself.
Furthermore, choose words that are related to the products you intend to sell. When you have a domain name that is both pleasant and memorable, it is better for brand recall.
2. Set Up a Web Hosting Account
With a domain name, it is now time to choose a web hosting platform such as WordPress. Be reminded that there is a difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
For web hosting, create an account with WordPress.org instead. Although it comes with a fee – it is not that much. Monthly payments are around US$8 to $10, which you can quickly recoup when the store finally launches.
Domain name registrars may offer web hosting services, but prices may vary. BlueHost, Siteground, and HostGator are popular web hosting platforms that offer several plan packages based on your projected usage. To harness SEO, ensure that you choose a plan according to your demands and sales potential.
WordPress has a range of hosting options from free to VPS, shared, dedicated, and managed. Furthermore, you also have the opportunity of hosting several domain names.
When opting for a different web host other than your domain name registrar, make sure to have your hosting account nameservers written down. You will need those to direct your domains to your hosting account.
3. Acquire an SSL Certificate
Secure Sockets Layers are required to ensure website visitors of your site’s legitimacy and safety. An encryption protocol, SSL certificates ensure that data transmission is secured. It is also known as TLS or Transport Layer Security protocol. You can get this from your web hosting provider.
4. Install WordPress
To set up WordPress on your web hosting account, simply go to either WordPress.org or WordPress.com. Follow the installation process instructions provided on the website. It is free of charge – if you would want to know that.
5. Sign Up for an Amazon Affiliate Account
While signing up for an Amazon affiliate account is free, other product packages have paid options depending on your usage. Expert coding skills are not a requirement to set up an Amazon affiliate store. Simply copy-and-paste links, best sellers, and categories to your website to get started.
6. Download the Required Plugins
Aside from the WordPress e-commerce plugin, two other plugins are required for you to become an Amazon affiliate: WooCommerce Amazon Associates and WooCommerce. These software features make it easier for you to add associate products on your affiliate store.
You may also install the PG Simple Affiliate Shop plugin if you opt for affiliating multiple vendors. It is free to download.
7. Curate Products
Now start curating affiliate products you wish to sell. Use a Google Spreadsheet to list the products you want to include in your catalog. Collect the following information to be organized with your data: product name, description, photos, price options, and affiliate links. Afterward, use the data collected to create a product listing.
On the other hand, you have a paid path option when you set up an Amazon affiliate store. With the WooZone WooCommerce Amazon Affiliates WordPress plugin worth US$30, you can add affiliate products from Amazon in bulk, spin descriptions while avoiding SEO penalties, and more.
Reminders to a Successful Affiliate Store
To end with, here are a few reminders to help you build a thriving affiliate store with Amazon.
- Know your target market and niche. Beauty and wellness products, kid’s clothing, and healthy food – it’s your choice. Choose products that you are passionate about and make it your central focus.
- Add a hint of your personality whenever possible. One way of building customer loyalty is through structuring your brand around your character. Incorporate your story and create a connection with your patrons.
- Be upfront. Do not hide that you are an affiliate store. One thing that may drive away customers is shady business.
- Remove conversion killers. Look out for irrelevant outbound links and distractions such as other links to competition websites, phone numbers, non-affiliate widgets, and banner ads.
- Improve on content delivery. If you have a blog or social media, content creation will give you an edge over your competitors. Not only will this drive traffic into your store, but it will also cement your status as an authority in your chosen niche.
With all that, it looks like you are now ready to set up an Amazon affiliate store. Just do not forget that you still have to treat your online store as any regular business.