Recently, magazine and grid layouts have become more and more critical within the WordPress theme market. Both free and premium themes received good response from WordPress users. These grid style themes can help you to present your articles nicely, and they are suitable for large blogs that have a lot of items.
Besides these, magazine layout also suitable for users who want to use WordPress as the CMS. By combining the power of WordPress, its plugins and a suitable magazine theme, you can build a powerful CMS in no time! Let’s look into some of the advantages and disadvantages of having a magazine theme and then we will head into 50+ free WordPress magazine themes.
- A standard blog theme will lists typically up to 10 latest posts. Although you can set the number to unlimited, it is advised to set it ten due to the space limitation. If you have hundreds of jobs, how are you going to list them? Although you may have an archive page for each category, and use WordPress pagination plugin, users don’t go and view your archive pages unless they want to dig into your site. Magazine themes are great for such places because they manage to list out most of your content in a grid-based layout. Magazine themes usually show the title and excerpts only, and that’s why they can make use of the little space to display most of your top articles.
- Most of the magazine themes come with a lot of options or configurations, which will give you a lot of freedoms to present your content.
- Some magazine themes have built-in Featured Content Slider. You can use this feature to show the top and most popular content to the readers. Although you may build these content slider through plugins or tutorials, the pre-installed featured content sliders normally have better integration with your theme and required less or no code changes.
- Additional features, options and configurations will make beginner confuse. These options and features are just like a double-edged sword. Advanced users may like them, but a newbie may need a lot of time and efforts to learn and configure them.
- Magazine themes that have unnecessary features will generally use more server resources and slow down the overall loading time.
- Magazine themes are suitable for more significant sites. So if you have less content and not update frequently, then these magazine themes will “tell” your visitors that this site is not updated regularly.
Should I consider a magazine theme?
It depends. If you run a news site and update the content regularly, then WordPress Magazine Theme is the best option. If you can’t publish content on a regular basis, or you are new to WordPress, then my advice is to stick with a standard WordPress theme. There are a lot of great-looking and free WordPress themes, and you can quickly get them through the WordPress themes directory.
If you want to try the magazine theme, then I would suggest you install it on your local machine and play around with its features before bringing it live.
Free WordPress Magazine Themes
After reading the pros and cons of a WordPress Magazine Theme, it is time for us to look into some of the free WordPress Magazine Theme. Remember, although these magazine themes are colled, they are not suitable for all sites. So pick the topic carefully based on your requirements. Read the theme documentation if it is provided.
Maxine is an easy to use Magazine Theme that powered designmagz.com
Arthemia Free is a compelling free magazine style WordPress theme that has some so-called “premium features.” The author has another premium version of Arthemia which adds more powerful features to the idea.
Arras Theme is designed for news or reviews sites with a lot of features and easy to customize. It has documentation wiki and community forums where you can look for author/users/webmasters to help you solve your problem.
Alivapress Magazine WordPress Theme
Free Magazine style WordPress theme that has a featured content slider on the main page. Alivapress is Adsense and Feedburner ready.
WP NewsMag is a highly customizable WordPress theme with five columns, support three levels drop-down menu. It can be installed and run without any additional plugin.
OpenBook is a magazine style WordPress theme released by Jean-Baptiste Jung, who maintains a blog over at Cats Who Code that covers WordPress and other webmaster stuff.
Falkner Press requires minimum WordPress 2.7 to run. It has a featured content slideshow and tabbed sidebar. Falkner Press is optimized for SEO.
Equilibrium is a minimalist magazine theme. The theme can be used in the either personal or commercial project. It has an installation note for fresh users.
WordPress magazine theme released by BlogOhBlog, a well-known WP themes designer.
Magatheme is another minimal Magazine WordPress theme that is highly customizable.
IsoTherm News is magazine styled WordPress theme that has a lot of features such as header/footer script management, relative dates in Comments, exclude category, etc.
Hybrid News is a child theme for Hybrid. Hybrid News is for a news site, and it has double navigation menus, drop-down menus, a featured slider, and pretty much anything you’d need to run a complete news site.
Happy Music Magazine
Magazeen is released by Function Web Design. A very cool WordPress theme, especially the header thumbnail.
Moi Magazine is an elegant WordPress Magazine theme that offering vast admin options.
Marikit WordPress theme
The Morning After
The Morning After was created based on a brief survey on the WordPress forums about what people would want to see in a unique magazine-style theme.
Small Magazine is released by GabFire, a well-known WordPress themes designer.
Potrika is a mixed column WordPress magazine theme. Users have to pay $15 in order to remove the footer links.
The Original Premium News
The Original Premium News Theme was the very first premium theme released by WooThemes.
The Understand was initially designed for a personal project, but the latest update is wholly optimized and stripped of unnecessary code. It supports a lot of features such as Gravatar, threaded comments, automatically creates the thumbnail, etc.
Visualization is a grid-based, magazine-style WordPress theme that is easy to customize and make your own.
WordPress Magazine Theme
WordPress template featuring new minimalistic design
The Web News Theme
Magaling is a premium quality WordPress theme with Twitter status integration.
Magasin Uno is a premium quality WordPress theme with Featured Post Gallery, Feedburner Email Subscription, Twitter Account integration, Popular Posts, Automatic Thumbnail Resizer, Adsense ready with advertising blocks easily customize via an Option Page.
Marangal is a three columns WordPress magazine theme that comes with five different colors.
ZinePress is a beautiful WordPress Magazine Theme and has valid XHTML Strict 1.0. It is compatible with most of the browsers and users are allowed to modify the theme to suit their needs, as long as they keep the footer links.
Aureola is a free wordpress magazine theme where you can show different categories, posts in a magazine layout on your home page.
Hamasaki is a mix column layout themes. If you are new to the idea, you can browse through the theme’s official site and read the simple FAQ on how to customize this theme.